Stihl TS420 Review
I recently purchased a TS420 and thought I would post a review on it.
Some of the improvements and features of the TS420 are as follows:
At STIHL, we dedicate considerable resources toward developing new and innovative technology that increases efficiency and improves performance for our line of construction equipment. STIHL Cutquik® cut-off machines are known for superior fuel efficiency, operator comfort, powerful and precise cutting performance and much more. Check out a few of the features that you’ll find on every STIHL Cutquik® cut-off machine:
- Electronic Ignition provides easier starting and smoother running.
- Anti-Vibration System minimizes the vibration levels of handheld outdoor power equipment. The STIHL anti-vibration system helps reduce operator fatigue and provides a more comfortable working experience.
- Ergonomic Grip provides an optimal comfortable grip in many working positions.
- High-Performance Cooling System for superior airflow and heat dissipation.
- Quick Disconnect Water Kit reduces dust when cutting concrete when attached to a water supply.
- Reversible Cutting Arm lets you cut in the inboard or outboard position.
- Semi-Automatic Belt Tensioner features a spring-loaded arm that automatically adjusts the drive belt to the correct tension with the turn of a wrench.
- 2-Ring Pistons improve engine efficiency and hold compression longer than 1-ring pistons. Also they transfer heat from the piston to cylinder better, helping engine stay cooler and last longer.
- Long-Life Engine Cylinders provide optimal cooling, lubrication and more power output per cubic centimeter of engine displacement for maximum wear life.
- On/Off Switch is conveniently located on top of handle and recessed to prevent accidental shutdown.
- High-tech Polymer Housings are lightweight, withstand greater impact and are corrosion resistant.
- Protected Decompression Valve reduces the compression in the combustion chamber during cranking and helps reduce the effort needed to pull the starter rope.
- Protected Spark Plug is protected yet easy to change.
- Protected Throttle Trigger helps prevent damage.
- Throttle Trigger Lockout must be depressed before the trigger can be activated.
- Bayonet-Style Fuel Cap with dust-resistant seal and retainer for easy use, even with gloves.
- Upright and Enlarged Fuel Port for easy fueling.
JeffBMFrom:Boston, MaAge:35 to 44Do you own your own house?YesOutdoor tool expertise:Professional LandscaperQuality5 / 5Dependability5 / 5Power5 / 5Value5 / 5Im a 20 year mason contractor and have used Stihl saws for ever. This saw performs very well.A couple nit picks about the saw though, to compliment an already great saw.The start mechanism is clunky on this generation. It is hard to tell if the throttle is on or not when setting the switch.I really like the choke, although the smoothness of the lever could be greatly improved. It is to rigid IMO. I would also like to have a definitive choke ON choke OFF. I am writing it on the machine with marker for my guys. Were not engineers, so which way does what? It is easy to flood these machines if people get the choke “wrong”.The stock pull cord is too short. I almost ripped the machine in half when first starting my new saw.The hose attachment rides low to the ground and I have already noticed it could be taking abuse.I like how high the blade sits at a resting position as compared to my old trusty TS400.As compared to the TS 400 the distance from the two hand grip positions has been shortened. I prefer the TS400 gripping positions, although im sure I wont notice in a matter of days.I have been looking at the spring that is mounted on the sides and question its durability. I mentioned to the salesman that it probably wont make it a year. The people who use these tools are animals. Switches that don’t move smoothly will get snapped off, pull cords that are short will get ripped apart and springs that are mounted to the outside could possibly get knocked off.Don’t get me wrong, I love this saw, just some areas I would like to see an improvementProsLight, Easy to Use, Easy to Maintain, Reliable
Yes, I recommend this product.
After a few additional weeks of use and 6 tons of Corinthian Granite veneer stone later I am thrilled with the saw. It has very good power, the air filtration is top notch and the filter lasts longer then the TS400 I previously had owned. The amount of gas it holds feels slightly increased as well, which was a nuisance to me on the older saw. It simply ran out of gas to quickly. I think this has been increased from the TS 400. Its always the smaller details that make the differences.
I would like to also note that the smoothness of this saw is awesome. After an hour of cutting it is common for my hands to get tingly and numbish. The smoothness of this saw has improved that quite a bit.
The saw has great power, although its new and it should, I was able to chew through 4″ granite veneer stone with ease. I also like how when setting the saw down that the blade is sitting a couple inches up off the ground so not to bounce the blade off any debris on the ground and to keep it up out of the way of objects.
All in all it is a great saw and some improvements help solidify it as the best saw for cutting masonry, stone and concrete in my opinion. The durability of these saws is always very good. With the improved air filtration the pistons should wear even better. I forgot to mention the synthetic 2 stroke oil is best in class as well.
As in my review on the Stihl website, I highly recommend this saw to anyone who is in the lookout for a powerful gas 14″ cutoff saw.